Yes! Definatly the planet earth must have rainforest or else the world will not be able to sustain life like it does today. There are all kinds of reasons why we need the rainforest. Not only do we need the rainforest but also the animals need it to. The Rainforest is home to Thousands of living breathing creatures. I have only named a few other various reasons why we need the Rainforest but remember there are hundreds of otehr reasons also.
Without Rainforest Continually recycling huge quantities of water feeding the rivers, lakes, and irrigation systems droughts will become more common, causing widespread famine and disease.
It may surprise you to know that more than 25% of our modern medicines originate from Tropical Rainforest plants. We have only learned how to use about 1% of these amazing plants so imagine the possibilities if we could experiment with the other 99%. For example, the Rosy Periwinkle found in Madagascar is used to help cure Leukemia while the anti-malarial drug quinine taken from the bark of the Andean Cinchona Tree. The rauvolfia shrub found in Asian and African forests is used to cure high blood pressure and mental illnesses. Rainforests and their native people who discovered these medicines could hold the cure to many more diseases if we could only nurture the forests and allow their people to show us.
Medicines that originated from Tropical Rainforest include:
Curane ( muscle relaxant used in surgery ),
Diosgenin ( birth control pills, arthritis, asthma ),
Ouabain ( heart medication ),
Emetine ( bronchitis, dysentery ),
Vincristine ( Hodgkin disease, leukemia, and many other types of cancer )
Over 2,000 Tropical Rainforest plants have been identified by scientists as having anti-cancer properties. We could save millions of lives if only we could stop our greed for money and preserve the trees.There are many plants that could help scientists develop new crops, medicines, and many other products. We don’t want to lose this knowledge of the rainforest plants and animals before we even get a chance to study it.
Rainforests cover only 2% of the earth’s surface yet produce over 20% of our oxygen. We need the Rainforest to support all the life that we have here on earth. If we have hundrends of billions of people living on earth all at once and no trees to support life then life we no longer be able to be on earth.
Destroying the Rainforest may change the world’s whether patterns. By destroying a natural habitat common to earth we could cause summers to be extremely hot and winters to be extremely cold.
Many migrating birds, common to North America depend on the rainforests habitats. The Rainforest is home to these hundreds of birds. The loss of the Rainforest may affect these species, they won't have anywhere to go therefor the species will eventually die off.
Cultures of the rainforest are losing their native lands. They have a right to live where and how they want just as we do. If we want to live in a tent in the middle of nowhere we are allowed to then why shouldn't Indonigenous people be allowed to live in the Rainforest how they want to without be disturbed ?
The rainforest contains more than 50% of all plant and animal species in the world. Destroying the rainforest will destroy these beautiful species forever
Experts agree that by leaving the rainforests intact and harvesting its many fruits, nuts, oil-producing plants, and medical plants the rainforest has much more economical value than if it were cut down to make grazing land for cattle or cut down for timber. If managed properly the rainforest could provide the worlds need for these natural rescources on a perpetual basis. Promoting the use of these sustainable and renewable sources, could stop the destruction of our beautiful Tropical Rainforest by creating a new source of income harvesting the many items found in the Rainforest and making people see that the rainforest is more valuable alive than cut down and burned.
In addition to logging for exporation, rainforest wood stays in developing countries for fuel and wood. Then there is the paper industry. A puplwood project in the Brazilian Amazon consists of a japenese power plant and pulp wood mill. To set up this single plant operation 5,600 square miles of amazon Rainforest was burnt to the ground. This single manufacturing plant consumes 2,000 tons of surronding Rainforest wood everyday to produce 55 megawatts of electricity to run the plant. More and More Rainforest is destroyed everyday to meet the demand of our developed world's paper industry which requires a staggering 200 million tons of wood every year simply to make paper. In less than 50 years more than half of the worlds Tropical Rainforest have fallen victim to fire and the chain saw. The rate of destruction is still accelerating, 78 million acres are lost every year!
Madagascar is home to all of the worlds lemurs --- all of which are endangerd. With the Rainforest being destroyed what will the lemurs be left with ? Almost 90% of Madagascars Rainforest have been destroyed. That leaves only 10% of its Tropical Rainforest left. Only 10% of its Rainforest left for the Lemurs to live in. Consider this...
~ A single pond in Brazil can sustain a greater variety of fish than what are found in all of Europe's rivers combined.
~ A 25 acre plot of Rainforest in Borneo may contain over seven hundred species of trees - a number equal to the total tree diversity of North America
~ A single Rainforest in Peru is home to more species of birds than the entire United States.
~ One single tree in Peru was found to harbor 43 different ant species - a total that approximates the total number found in the Brittish Isle.
Well if the Rainforest Can sustain this much life then apparently we DO need it!
Experts estimate that we are losing 137 plants, animal, and insect species every day due to rainforest deforestation!
Massive deforestation brings many ugly consequences - air and water pollution, soil erosin, malaria epidemics, the realease of huge quantities of carbon dioxide into the atmoshpere, the eviction and discrimination of Indoneginous Indian Tribes, and the loss of biodiversity through extinction of plants and animals. Less Rainforest means less rain, which means more droughts, less oxygen for us to breathe and an even bigger threat from Global Warming. We need to stop this massive destruction, if not who knows what is going to happen to the world............